10 April 2008

Climbing outside... Spring is here

One of the things I love about living on Sotra, in fact part of the reason I moved out here is the climbing. There are a whole series of crags within about 30 mins drive that all face west and get the evening sun. The rock is a compact gneiss with excellent friction and there are several sports crags which are well bolted. Some of them even have a fire pit and people come out on summer evenings to hang out and tick a few routes. It is idilic, the obvious downside being that it rains for 2/3rds of the year!


The weather has been pretty nice for the last couple of days, we even manged the first bbq at the weekend, there is a definate spring feel in the air and its now light until 9pm. Tuesday night headed out with Sandy and Katharine to Gjøkeredet, the closets crag to my house. The goal, to get my first outdoor routes of the year and see how my ankle would hold up. We arrived at the crag at about 6.30 and were the only people there, great!


We did about 5 or 6 routes, I have done them all before but all of them are excellent. Was very happy to get up a 6+ with only one fall and a couple of 6 and 6- clean. Felt really good to be climbing outside and on real rock! Great evening, the air was totally still, the sun was shinning and the sunset across the island was beautiful.

I love living here when its like this...

No comments: