Talking to a group of primary school teachers about geology, and how to
introduce it to the young. The inevitable discussion on dinosaurs...all
kids are fascinated about dinosaurs.
So I asked the teachers, if so many kids were interested in dinosaurs, why
weren't there more geologists...
The answer...most kids grow up !
Two Geologists are walking across a granite outcrop one day. The first says
to the second "Hey, this terrain is unmetamorphosed". Replies the second
one, "No Schist".
TOTAL IMMERSION GEOLOGISTS
Total immersion geologists: Are you totally obsessed with geology? If so,
then you are a total immersion geologist. Here are the ten warning signs:
1) You judge a restaurant by the type of decorative building stone they use
rather than their food.
2) You manage to turn any conversation into a discussion of geology, as in:
"What did you think of that Superbowl game last night?"
"I must have missed that conference. Who sponsored it? Geological Society of America?"
3) The only thing you notice about attractive members of the opposite sex is the stone in their jewelry.
4) You refuse to let nightfall stop your field excursions and continue
looking at the outcrops using the headlights of your field vehicle.
5) You like rock music only because it's called "rock" music.
6) You will try to claw through the water flowing in a stream to get a better
look at the bedrock at the base of the channel.
7) You will walk across eight lanes of freeway traffic to see if the outcrop on the other side of the highway is the same type of rock as the side you're parked on.
8) You name your children after rocks and minerals.
9) You're not sure if you have children.
10) You view non-geologists as subhuman.