20 October 2009

HP Compaq 8510w - Review

HP Compaq 8510w

I have one of these, I didn't buy it, it was given to me by work, so I have no axe to grind and no hidden agenda. This review is based soley on my experience with said machine over the last year...

This computer is an utter pile of steaming, useless horse poo!!!

To be work specific
1. Battery - Computer is about a year old, battery lasts less than 20 minutes. My colleague who has the same model is down to 15.
2. It takes about 10 minutes for the boot up routine - I have no idea what it is actually doing during this time but it is very frustrating to sit their waiting and waiting
3. The consequence of 1 and 2 is that once its finished booting up I have about 10 minutes within which to do my work...
4. It perdioically greenscreens, this usually happens when it is plugged into an external monitor or data projector and I am running something that is graphics heavy, but beyond that I have not been able to narrow down the cause. New graphics drivers etc have not helped
5. Even though this is a university computer its full of junk freeware - I hate this crap, Katharine bought a machine in the States that was so full of shitte that was deeply buried we had to reinstall the OS from scratch - its like spam and junk mail it should just be illegal - no discussion

On the plus side it has nice keyboard and a clear screen

Recommendation - Buy something (almost anything) else...

Rant over, I feel much better now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I have gone through a couple of batteries in the past year and a half. I thought maybe the charge sensor software needed resetting or something so I kept pulling the battery, running it down, doing all that kind of stuff. But they just seem to be crummy (expensive) batteries.